From: "Peter Bohning" <peter.bohning%gmx.com@localhost>
To: "Dieter Baron" <dillo%nih.at@localhost>, libzip-discuss%nih.at@localhost
Subject: Re: mingw errors 1.3.0 1.4.0
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 19:22:20 +0100

Sorry.  Didn't mean to sound hostile, I'm mostly just sarcastic.  I've just been doing this stuff for so many years and nothing ever changes.  I know most people use autoconf, I've always kind of wondered why.  It goes through and checks for all these types and sizes and which functions are supported... I don't really understand why POSIX compliance isn't... I don't know, more complete and supported by the government or something... most of the setups and operating systems are basically the same, I don't get why this is all such a mess.

But here... there's like 10 different types here, right?  Wouldn't it be easier to put them in separate files, and have a windows and a *nix compile?  I mean that's basically all there is now: windows and *nix... I'm not even saying anything about libzip here, this whole thing just seems crazy to me... this is 2018... are you telling me I have to compile this whole other cmake thing, which also won't compile on my mingw, just to define like ten different types for libzip?  And that's the same problem with autoconf... it's like you sit there waiting for it to run through configure and all these types, and the actual program uses a handful of them...

I would like the application I wrote to be easy for people to compile and install... if I didn't, I would write my own makefile for libzip, quite frankly, and just define the types as necessary.

I don't know what to do and I don't really have time to deal with it.  cmake won't compile.  I guess it doesn't matter.  I'm not getting paid for my application, why go through this hassle.  Yeah I guess maybe I'll write my own makefile for libzip, it can't be more trouble than getting cmake to compile.