From: Martin Buchholz <martinrb%google.com@localhost>
To: Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost>
Subject: Re: libzip does not use EOCD nentry field in PK-WARE compatible way
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 09:40:25 -0700

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 5:08 AM, Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 08:54:49PM +0000, Jay Freeman (saurik) wrote:
> Hello! I am wanting to use libzip on a zip file which contains more than 65k entries. The files in question are widely distributed and generated by Apple: they are OTA updates for the iPhone. There is no issue unzipping them using Apple's tooling, and in particular there is no issue working with them using PK-WARE's unzip utility. Here is a link to download an example file (note that this is 1.4GB large).

Interesting that there are still some tools nowadays that generate
such files. I thought they had all transitioned to zip64 support by
now.

There's a surprising number of small single-purpose zip implementations in the world, and a lack of enthusiasm for adding ZIP64 support to them, which is always harder than it seems (especially testing).  As a result, other ZIP implementations that could write ZIP64 format zip files for >64k entries choose not to do so, because writing a truncated entry count is safer in practice than using ZIP64.

Made by MHonArc.